Welcome to Outside In World, the organisation dedicated to promoting and exploring world literature and children's books in translation.
- The research has enabled OIW to establish a valuable list of international books, relevant to disability. However, this is much more than a standard booklist. This collection is backed up by a wealth of evidence and opinion, from disability experts, organisations, parents and children.
- It has helped to shape a powerful picture of the way disability is approached around the world, both in terms of making books accessible but also in terms of the way the subject is depicted in stories and pictures.
- The project has uncovered a number of 'gems' in terms of really exciting books and excellent models of good practice.
- It has also identified many other books which, if published in the UK, would be considered of real value in terms of increasing the number and quality of books relevant to disability – and indeed the number of books in translation.
- It has proved invaluable in helping to develop a list of learning points or simple ideas that could work well in books including the pitfalls to be avoided.
- The project has opened up dialogues between international publishers, writers, translators and UK publishers. In the case of the latter, we hope through these discussions that some of our recommended titles will result in publication in the UK.
- The project has also genuinely consulted children, including children with a range of different needs holding focus groups in both mainstream settings and special school settings.