1. Where does the word 'sport' come from?
2. How was tennis first played?
3. What is soule (or choule)?
4. What is the Tour de France?
5. In 2008 how many days did it take Frenchman François Joyon to sail solo around the world?
6. Who was William Webb Ellis and what was he famous for?
7. When and where were the rules of football written down for the first time?
8. Which sport used to be called 'wiff-waff'?
9. When and where did the first motor race take place?
10. Who were the first men to reach the top of Mount Everest?
11. When was the first World Cup?
12. Who climbed the volcano Mount Etna in 121 AD?
13. Name three winter sports.
14. Where does the name tennis come from?
15. How often are the Commonwealth Games held?
Questions devised from Sport by Bénédicte Mathieu and Myrtille Rambion, illustrated by Aurélien Débat, translated from French by Jean Anderson, Gecko Press, 2011.
For a pdf version of this quiz please click below.
For answers to this quiz please go to the 'Answers' section.